Spirit Journey House, with the resident-chosen slogan of “It was Given to Us,” is a transitional housing program for Native homeless adult women in recovery from substance abuse. Our cultural program is integral to the native women in building a solid foundation to find their place in society. We offer a safe, structured nurturing transitional home that supports the women in their recovery goals and acknowledges teachings given to us by Creator to remember the value of our native sisterhood “to treat ourselves and others with dignity, respect and compassion.”
Our cultural program activities include:
- Weekly Talking Circles
- Native AA 12 Step Workshops
- Custom monthly workshops
These services and activities are the heart of the program and contribute to the success of the women’s triumphs over constant challenges on their path to recovery. Native American Staff and Elders steer the program and services to ensure the wellness and sobriety needs of the residents are met. Four out of five women have returned to school, secured employment and housing and have reunited with children.
Spirit Journey House is unique as it is the first Recovery House in the State of Washington in an urban setting with a full cultural program for Native American women off-reserve. The program was originally a pilot project of Catholic Community Services and has recently joined the vast number of successful CCS housing projects in the State with a success rate at 80%!
- Native Adult Women
- 30-60 days clean and sober from drugs/alcohol
- Criminal background check
- Referral from a residential treatment facility
- Monthly program fee is required
- We welcome donations of bath towels, hygiene products, clothing vouchers or food cards for new residents.
- Bedroom furniture needs: dressers, carpet mat, comforter, blankets, sheets and new pillows.
- Kitchen items: silverware, blender, large serving bowl, large pots and pans, travel mugs.
- Cultural supplies: dreamcatcher hoops, pony glass beads, deer hide, beads, smudge bowls, medicines (sage, lavender, sweetgrass), and wood for the women’s sweat.
- Gift card incentives for the residents for reaching milestones.
- Any craft supplies for programming purposes would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your generosity and support!