SCC is open by phone and appointment only during the Covid-19 restrictions, Monday through Thursday 1-4pm. Voicemail is checked regularly and securely so leave detailed messages and feel free to call back if you don’t hear from us within a few business days. We have limited volunteers during this time so we thank you for your patience!
Named after Father Solanus Casey, The Solanus Casey Center (a joint ministry of Catholic Community Services of Western Washington and St. James Cathedral) is a walk-in hospitality and referral center located on First Hill that provides services to the unemployed, working poor, those living on the street, shelters, and transitional housing. Due to limited funds, service requests are not guaranteed at this time.
While Solanus Casey Center’s primary mission is hospitality and referral, the Center uniquely provides administrative and financial help for people who have had their Washington state IDs stolen or lost, often confiscated and not returned by law enforcement. Homeless and indigent people without identification cannot apply for jobs, apply for benefits, obtain their Social Security card or apply for temporary and/or permanent housing. Often, food banks also require proper identification.
Re-establishing a person’s ID is often the first and necessary step in returning to an active and productive life.
The Solanus Casey Center is open for in-person services from 1-4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Services provided include:
- Assistance with WA State Identification cards and Driver’s Licenses-including new issuance, renewals and replacements.
- A Voucher for free glasses if client has had an eye exam and prescription within the last 2 years.
- A Monthly Lottery with 30 winners for Orca bus passes every last Wednesday of the month. (*must have a registered Disabled or Senior Orca card and number to enter)
- Solanus Casey Center also keeps socks, toiletries and other small items of comfort on hand which can include snacks, coffee, tea, rain ponchos, etc. We also have the most updated version of the Emerald City Resource Guide for handing out.
- Computers/Phones available on site as well as a Notary Public.
Due to high demand and limited resources, one gas voucher can be issued to each client on an annual basis (*only with a verifiable medical/job/housing appointment)
If we can’t help you here directly, our volunteers will help connect you to other resources that may!
Please make a gift to the Solanus Casey Center online today. We appreciate your financial support.